Saturday, October 2, 2010

Pursuit of the Perfect Saturday

It's 7:25 A.M. - I open my eyes on my own, as opposed to having them pryed open by tiny fingers. 

It's gonna be a good day. 

I slowly stretch myself awake and sit up.  I go to the bathroom and brush my teeth by myself

It's gonna be a good day.

I come downstairs to my immaculately clean house to see my two-year old daughter standing on a chair helping her father make eggs and Canadian bacon.  Coffee is brewed, waiting for me.  The boys are in the basement playing.

It's gonna be a good day.

Over breakfast of home-made Egg McMuffins it is decided that we will go to the gym, workout and then take the kids swimming.

The kids have a blast swimming and we stop at Chik-fil-A to grab lunch. Everyone is appropriately full and exhausted.  We arrive home and tuck all three children in for naps. 

As I settle onto the couch with one weeks worth of "The Daily Show" episodes and materials to give myself a pedicure I think to myself, "Does it get any better than this?"

I am midway through this reverie when my husband rounds the corner and says, "I feel like I should be doing something." 

WHAT ON EARTH SHOULD YOU BE DOING?!?!? 

Go to the gym.  Check.  Spend quality time with kids.  Check.  Clean the house, mow the lawn, conquer the world.   Check, check, check.

Every Saturday, he is wondering what else he should be doing.  What is it with this man???? Why does he need to constantly be busy????  What is so wrong with sitting down every now and then????

How do you find contentment when you are both seeking different things?

When you find an answer...get back to me.  In the meantime I'll be enjoying my "good day."

No comments:

Post a Comment