Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A Bad Day

There is a mountain of laundry, it flows over the sides of the basket and onto the floor of the little room.  Small clumps of dog hair litter the carpets because someone may have forgotten to give her the thyroid medication that will keep her from losing her hair.  A stain behind the chair in the living room looks to be cake icing but the true origin is anyone's guess. 

I went to bed last night at 6:40 PM, not simply because I was tired but because my head was throbbing with such force that blinking became nearly impossible.

This morning I did not get the 4:00 AM wake up text from my running trainer because I lost my phone and have yet to find it.  I did have to yield unwillingly to the irritating little Nemo alarm at 5:00 AM due to its location across the room. Silencing the little bastard requires getting out of bed to smack the clock multiple times and  once out of bed and  it seems to make sense to give in to a much needed steamy shower. 

I have congestion in my lungs like a 30 year smoker with pack-a-day habit.  I have a barking cough that is as unproductive as the United States Congress and I still have the headache.

In a few minutes, 17 to be exact, I will begin the hardest part of my day, waking the children.  The question will be asked, "Is today a school day?"  I will respond, "Yes." Upon hearing this answer there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.  "Why?  WHHHHYYYYYY? Why does EVERYDAY have to be a school day????" 

Good question kid.  I feel ya.

My middle son will refuse to wake and only under threat of bodily harm will finally concede.  He will then put on his clothing, head to toe, backwards, everyday like clockwork.  My daughter, our youngest will pitch a fit for any number of reasons.  She will demand to "go on the potty," or "no go on the potty."  Determining which way she will swing today would be like studying the flight patterns of butterflies and honestly I just don't have that kind of time.

So...in 10 minutes, I'll open their doors and begin the process of waking and dressing and tooth brushing.  I'll fight the good fight because that is all I can do.  At some point in this morning, hopefully, I will have time to brush my own teeth and maybe even apply makeup, but there are no guarantees.

When we finally stagger out the door at 6:40 AM and fall into the van my children will report that the car smells like "a  old foot."  A few days ago, I did begin to notice some "funky" smell in the vehicle, I looked for the source of the offensive odor, an old diaper, a discarded milk cup, some other food item left under the seats.  I found nothing. 

The good news is that my cold/ sinus infection issue has rendered my smeller completely useless and the children's complaints about the smelly van will fall on deaf ears.

If I have time at work later, perhaps I will ask my pregnant friend with the heightened sense of smell to come to my vehicle and track down the source, but we'll have to see how the day shapes up.

Right now, I have 3 minutes to get dressed, look professional and start the waking process here in Happytown USA, because after all I am nothing if not a good time manager, right?

I fear that today is going to be a bad day.

3 comments:

  1. A pregnant bloodhound-nosed friend? Really, what more could a person ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your day wasn't as bad as anticipated!!! I don't have any idea how you get everyone up and ready before 7 am! I am in AWE! did the blood hound find the stink?

    ReplyDelete