Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Easier Said Than Done

"Mommy, what are you going to be for Halloween?" my middle son inquires sweetly from inside his penguin cosutme.

Hmmmm....good question. 

How about 30lbs. lighter, a woman with willpower, independently weathy, Angelina Jolie???

He looks at me expectantly, waiting for my answer.  "I think I'll be a cat."  I finally say.

Satisfied with this answer, he scampers off to galavant with Minnie Mouse and her Zombie friend.  I am left to wonder, "What AM I going to be this year???"

I want to be more organized, thinner and a distance runner.  I want to be a more effective teacher and keep all of my grades updated on a weekly basis.  I want to be a more present parent and a more supportive spouse.  I want to spend money responsibly, eat more healthfully and finally kick my Diet Pepsi habit.

The list is long and I can get overwhelmed just thinking about it.  Where do you even begin?

In my head I hear my mother in her cheerful and matter-of-fact way, "How do you eat an elephant?" 
"One bite at a time." 

And that, is easier said than done.

No comments:

Post a Comment